Wilderness survival roguelike Wayward "Horizons" upgrade brings Volcanic islands
Liam Dawe · news.movim.eu / GamingOnLinux · Thursday, 6 January, 2022 - 14:55 · 3 minutes
Another major update has landed for the sweet top-down wilderness survival roguelike Wayward, bringing with it a whole new Volcanic island type and much more.
The game will also now load up several islands at a time, which helps with quicker travel and means players in multiplayer can actually be on different islands now - so it opens the game up a whole lot more. Have a look at the Horizons upgrade release trailer below:
Watch video on YouTube.com
New features highlight:
- Added a new "islands" dialog, acting as a world map. It's unlocked when obtaining a sea-worthy vessel, which allows you to travel to inspect and travel to nearby islands.
- You can now sail to any island within a certain distance, the travel time and cost dependant on the distance traveled.
- Several islands can now be loaded at a time, allowing for quicker travel and allowing players in multiplayer games to be on different islands from each other.
- Added a new "Seafaring" skill which increases travel distances, reduces hunger and thirst costs when traveling, and more.
- Added a new "Volcanic" island type and biome with new resources, tiles, interactions, and creatures.
- Added the ability to assign quickslots with tool-based actions (similar to "Carve with Tool" previously from the action menu). Alternatively, you can perform actions here by opening a new menu as well with "Shift + Q or Shift + Right Click". These actions will automatically pick the best tool for the given action.
- Added ability to assign action menu actions to the quickslot bar.
- A new item quality, "Relic", has been added. Relics have a high amount of magical properties, but have low starting durability and are dropped exclusively from aberrant creatures and treasure chests.
- Added a "Rejoin as a new player" button to the death screen when dying in multiplayer games that have "clear ghost data on leave" option enabled.
- Added a "Respawn in Casual Mode" button to the death screen when you die while in a permadeath mode so you can continue playing your save.
- Merchant NPCs will now spawn and restock based on the number of buildings (walls/floors) constructed on an island, and will decrease in odds the further out you are from your starting island.
- Added a couple of new craftable "scarecrows" that you can place down to prevent or reduce the likelihood of creatures spawning and/or movement around them (depending on the creature).
- Added a new armor set of "armored scale" with unique properties/usefulness.
- Added needles for all types of metal.
- Added a pangolin creature to the new "Volcanic" island type.
- Added mysterious and coveted "Dryad", a plant-like creature with unique properties and loot.
- Added "Master of All" milestone and milestone modifier for getting all skills to 100%.
- Added the "Traitor" milestone and milestone modifier.
- Added a new form of grass called "Tanglehead", spread throughout the arid and volcanic islands types. Dirt will no longer be native to arid islands as a result.
- Added a new magical property "Regeneration", which repairs/restores durability on items over time.
- Added a new magical property, "Aptitude", which multiplies its effectiveness in crafts.
- Added a new interaction with wisps.
- The main menu buttons and tabs across all menus now have associated icons to improve UX.
- Sailing to new islands now raises your cartography skill.
- Starting at 40% cartography skill, the islands map and item tooltips now show which map items are associated with each island.
- Introduced the concept of spores to mushrooms and ferns.
- There are now non-tattered versions of shirts and pants that are available to craft.
- Added an "Open Backups Folder" button to the save data section in the options menu.
- You can now drag and drop save files onto the game to import them.
- Added +dev command line switch to dedicated servers to enable developer mode.