We are looking for some help for the Movim Android application
Timothée Jaussoin · pubsub.movim.eu / Movim · Monday, 31 May - 20:17 edit · 2 minutes
I am maintaining #Movim for more than 10 years now, mostly without asking for any help from the hundreds of daily users that we have now (on the servers we're aware of, at least). I am also maintaining and updating the infrastructure hosting the website, the official pod and the #XMPP server and related services.
However Movim is a little more than that, there is also an Android app, and a desktop app (currently abandoned).
I am maintaining the Android app with the really thin knowledge that I have on this platform. Most of the code of the application is basically copy/pasted from StackOverflow and a bit hacky. Fixing and developing this app is always really time consuming as the environment, and the way of dealing with it, is really different than the knowledge that I have on the web development side.
So basically today I'm asking from some help for the official Movim Android application. If you have a little bit of experience in Android development (or if you want to learn !) and if you're willing to help me to improve the application do not hesitate to contact me through our official chatroom, directly on Github or as a comment of this post.
The app is quite simple. It is basically a WebView that shows one of the configured pods. And… that's mostly it.
What would be really helpful would be to have (non exhaustive list):
- Another pair of eye to check and maybe refactor the few classes that are contained in the application
- Create two flavors of the app, one "Play Store ready" and one "free of Google Play" integration (the current app cannot be published on F-Droid because there is some strong dependencies there)
- Fix the mic/camera support and authorizations
- See if the current notification system can be improved
- Send an event to Movim when the app is "put in background" in a chat conversation to ensure that the notifications are re-enabled in this specific case
- And any other nice feature that you would like to see integrated
There is no pressure or deadline, any pull requests that could help improving or fixing things in the application would be really appreciated.
I am currently dealing with Google to re-enable the application on the Play Store as well, I will keep you updated about that.