Some random ideas about how likes should work in a social network, e.g. #Movim #Salutatoi #Libervia in the long run.
I'm referring to postings only, not chat.
Social networks are all getting high by the alternation of Adrenaline and Dopamine, intensified by the occasional dose rate of Caffeine, when geting #likes.
- On Movim, I can get information about recent likes in the notifications, but I would like to have an overview about all likes I ever got.
- Also, I'm missing an overview about all postings, that I liked at some point.
- In social networks one can find like-minded people. How about notifying me, when posting I liked or commented on, get more likes or comments by others? #Diaspora does this.
- Movim only allows for a like, but not for any other reaction. Message Reactions OTOH, allow for multiple, different #reactions, which I find more interesting.
- If a network becomes larger, fraud and abuse will be quick to follow. I'll post "vi is great", wait for some likes, and the correct the post to "Emacs is great". My likers will not even get a notification, nor is there a change history. Diaspora "solves" this by not allowing changes of posts, which is horrible - I can't even fix my typos. #Mastodon seems to replace the orginal post with a complete new one on change - losing answers and likes (favourites). Therefore:
- Likers must be notified, if a posting they liked has been altered, so that they can decide to remove their reaction.
- A change history should be visible.
- When talking about fraud and abuse: At some point, it should be possible to digitally sign postings, e.g. using #OX, so that everybody can verify the authenticity of a posting. This is esp. important in a federated network, where fake sites might appear. Likewise, reactions should be optionally signed, too.