Some tips for using TooFast.vip:443
chunkimo · pubsub.toofast.vip / tech · Wednesday, 7 December, 2022 - 16:05 · 3 minutes
TooFast.vip hosts a style modified instance of Movim
There are some quirks for a newcomer to any current Movim instance, particularly this one, that might make it difficult to explore and I wanted to make a list of some things that you can do to get a ball rolling in it. One might find the lack of content in the drop in page after logging in a bit discouraging however this is what you can do:
- Go to explore menu item > communities servers > look around in there and anything you like or would like to see show up for you in your news area and hit subscribe
- Don't be afraid to subscribe to stuff as it's easy to unsubscribe and from my experiences so far it's not going to ping your other XMPP clients when updated.
Some notes on your settings:
- If you're afraid of NSFW content, like at all, do not enable that option as things will probably occur, at least on this instance ^^
- If you don't want to redirect to the news page upon logging in then change the setting where it says to go to chat page after login. This might feel better for many people that aren't so interested in the pubsub portion of this app.
- Dark mode styles on TooFast.vip are not currently complete yet, but still look really cool.
- If you change your instance nickname your name title on Movim anywhere will be changed. That option is on the second tab.
- Adhoc settings for your JID should work in the Actions tab
- Blocking users is not finished yet on TooFast.vip as the git version grabbed for this instance originally was before that completed. I am unsure of the upstream status on that feature.
- You can add a few things to your JID from this instance that will carry with your JID as a vcard information and some of or all will persist on your other clients. Including a little bio, avatar and a webpage, etc.
- Don't be shy and make yourself public! Most of the movim instances don't at this time seem to promote this available feature type but I do!
Some friendly but pressing suggestions for the pubsub use:
- If you're around on XMPP much and you wish to publish some content you are most welcome to ask me and see if I'd be willing to create a community for you. It's suprisingly easy to do, as I'm suprisingly easy going.
- If you have the ability to post a post please makes sure that you make it public, there is a toggle at top of post, this is extremely important to my testing of a feature I wish for on this application and if you wish to have any comments you will need to toggle it public.
- #hashtags are encouraged to use at the bottom of your posts.
- If you're coming from a self hosted server without a pubsub service I'd be willing to aid in your possibly configuring one to help enjoy this Movim style stuff. I've got a bit of hosting xmpp experience to help make it happen.
- Please report all things that are disatisfactory or broken. I can give you a 🍪 aha, made of pixels :3 But honestly I, and others, would respect the effort for the greater good of us sharing this software :)
Please note that TooFast.vip does not have a STUN/TURN server available and that may complicate audio/video for some users. It is not a desired feature at this time.
Lastly a fun cool thing that anybody can inherit from using this website is you can have your own XMPP federated microblog! It will have a public URI if you make your profile public and add posts. You can click your avatar top left to see that. Here's an example: https://toofast.vip/?blog/cmdr_coconut%40toofast.vip
Any concerns please message myself or another server admin 🛰️