• chevron_right

      Arsenal arrive in Munich with destiny and opportunity still in their hands | Nick Ames

      news.movim.eu / TheGuardian · 19:29

    Sunday’s defeat by Aston Villa has added jeopardy, and Mikel Arteta knows ousting Bayern will take some doing

    Arsenal landed in a gusty Munich aiming to show they have not been blown off course. A week is a long time in football and it was only last Tuesday, when Mikel Arteta’s players emerged for their first leg to a rapturous reception at the Emirates, that they were being favoured to dethrone a wobbly Bayern Munich. The picture has clouded since then and there is a sense of being caught between absolutes when the rematch kicks off on Wednesday night.

    If Arsenal overcome their depleted hosts, they will have achieved an outcome for the ages and can savour a first Champions League semi-final since 2009. Should Bayern make home advantage and elite-level lineage count, those hovering to sound the death knell on their season will form an orderly queue. At this point of a campaign the lightest breeze can resemble a hurricane, as was amply shown by the reaction to Aston Villa’s victory in north London on Sunday.

    Continue reading...
    • chevron_right

      Jude Bellingham says joining Real Madrid was a ‘no-brainer’

      news.movim.eu / TheGuardian · 18:25

    • England midfielder moved to Spain from Dortmund last summer
    • Bellingham faces Manchester City in Champions League

    Jude Bellingham has said joining Real Madrid was a “no-brainer” despite interest from many other elite clubs including Manchester City, who they face in Wednesday’s Champions League quarter-final second leg.

    The midfielder signed for Real last summer from Borussia Dortmund in a deal worth up to £115m after discussions with a host of clubs. Bellingham was asked how close he came to joining the treble winners.

    Continue reading...
    • chevron_right

      Borussia Dortmund v Atlético Madrid: Champions League quarter-final, second leg – live

      news.movim.eu / TheGuardian · 18:03

    Here they come …

    If you’re in the mood for double-screening tonight, there’s this one to keep tabs on, too.

    Continue reading...
    • chevron_right

      Rafael Nadal makes winning return in first round at Barcelona Open

      news.movim.eu / TheGuardian · 17:57


    • 37-year-old beats Cobolli 6-2, 6-3 in first match since January
    • ‘I’m just having fun and happy to start with a victory’

    Rafael Nadal made a winning return to the court with victory over Flavio Cobolli in the first round of the Barcelona Open.

    The 37-year-old was playing his second tournament in 15 months after suffering another injury problem in his hip at his comeback event in Brisbane in January.

    Continue reading...
    • chevron_right

      Barcelona v PSG: Champions League quarter-final, second leg – live

      news.movim.eu / TheGuardian · 17:45 · 1 minute

    Since Barcelona won the Champions League in 2015 under Luis Enrique, they’ve been on the wrong end of three second-leg comebacks in Uefa’s flagship competition. A 2-0 defeat at Atlético Madrid in 2016 after a 2-1 home win. A 3-0 capitulation at Roma in 2018 after a 4-1 home win. That four-goal mauling by Liverpool in 2019 after a 3-0 victory at Camp Nou. Would it complete a narrative arc if they somehow threw away a first-leg lead yet again, against a Paris Saint-Germain team now managed by Luis Enrique? Well, no, not really. But it would still be something. Barça are favourites to progress to a semi-final against either Borussia Dortmund or Atlético Madrid having won 3-2 in Paris last week; the French champions require a superstar performance from Kylian Mbappé if they’re to stop Barça gaining revenge for their 5-2 aggregate victory over the Catalans in 2021. Whatever happens, one big team will be crashing out tonight, so with everything on the line this promises to be a cracker. Kick-off at the Estadi Olímpic Lluís Companys in Barcelona is at 8pm BST, 9pm local. It’s on!

    Continue reading...
    • chevron_right

      Emma Hayes claims Chelsea players’ WSL success is ‘taken for granted’

      news.movim.eu / TheGuardian · 17:42

    • Chelsea Women have chance to go top with win over Aston Villa
    • Club’s FA Cup and League Cup hopes over after recent defeats

    Emma Hayes has said she sometimes feels her Chelsea players “get taken for granted” with regard to success.

    The team have seen trophy bids end in each of their last two matches, losing 1-0 after extra time to Arsenal in the League Cup final at the end of March and then 2-1 in Sunday’s FA Cup semi-final at Manchester United.

    Continue reading...
    • chevron_right

      Rory McIlroy denies reports he will join LIV Golf for $850m

      news.movim.eu / TheGuardian · 17:17


    • World No 2 has been vocal critic of Saudi-backed tour
    • Viktor Hovland has also been linked with LIV move

    Rory McIlroy has brushed aside reports he is considering a move to LIV Golf, and insists he is committed to playing on the PGA Tour.

    The world No 2 has been a vocal critic of the Saudi-backed series but City AM this week reported he is considering a move to LIV worth $850m that would also give him a 2% equity in the tour.

    Continue reading...
    • chevron_right

      ‘We work just as hard’: Team GB swimmers want Olympic prize money

      news.movim.eu / TheGuardian · 16:14

    • Tom Dean joins calls for swimming to follow lead of athletics
    • Richards says reward would ‘make a lot of athletes a lot happier’

    Britain’s double Tokyo 2020 champion Tom Dean has joined a chorus of calls for prize money to be paid at the Olympic Games after track and field athletes were offered $50,000 if they win gold in Paris. Dean, who became the first British swimmer to win two golds at the same Games in 113 years in Tokyo , said that people were shocked that he earned nothing for his Olympics exploits – even though swimming is one of the most popular sports at the Games.

    “When I tell people that we don’t receive any prize money from winning Olympic gold medals, that is always a shock and a surprise to everyone,” he added. “Whereas we do in the world championships, the Europeans. It’s just the biggest screen, in front of the most people, millions and millions of viewers, but you don’t see anything in return.

    Continue reading...
    • chevron_right

      Keïta suspended and fined by Werder after walking out of Leverkusen game

      news.movim.eu / TheGuardian · 14:20

    • Club say midfielder went home after being left out of team
    • ‘We won’t tolerate Naby’s behaviour,’ says head of football

    Werder Bremen have suspended Naby Keïta for the rest of the season and imposed a “substantial” fine after accusing him of walking out of Sunday’s Bundesliga clash with Bayer Leverkusen.

    The 29-year-old former Liverpool midfielder did not feature in a 5-0 defeat at the BayArena, with his club saying he had chosen “not to travel to the ground with the team and decided to go home instead” after discovering he was not in the starting lineup.

    Continue reading...